Control converted to dynamic

Charlie

VBUC is converting a control to a dynamic type:

VBUC code:

Private cvctlAuditControl As Control

Private Sub UpdateBoundControls(ByVal pvobjContext As IContext)
    If Not cvctlAuditControl Is Nothing Then
        If cvbooInsertInProgress Then
            cvctlAuditControl = ""
End Sub

C# converted code:

private dynamic cvctlAuditControl = null;

private void UpdateBoundControls(INTBSSystem.IContext pvobjContext)

{
           if (cvctlAuditControl != null)
                {
                    if (cvbooInsertInProgress)
                    {
                        //NotUpgradedHelper.NotifyNotUpgradedElement("The following assignment/return was commented because it has incompatible types");
                        //UPGRADE_WARNING: (1068) cvctlAuditControl of type VB.Control is being forced to Scalar. More Information: https://www.mobilize.net/vbtonet/ewis/ewi1068
                        cvctlAuditControl = "";

We could solve our problems by doing this little change:

private dynamic cvctlAuditControl = null;

private void UpdateBoundControls(INTBSSystem.IContext pvobjContext)
 {
                if (cvctlAuditControl != null)
                {
                    if (cvbooInsertInProgress)
                    {
                        //NotUpgradedHelper.NotifyNotUpgradedElement("The following assignment/return was commented because it has incompatible types");
                        //UPGRADE_WARNING: (1068) cvctlAuditControl of type VB.Control is being forced to Scalar. More Information: https://www.mobilize.net/vbtonet/ewis/ewi1068

cvctlAuditControl.Text = "";

The problem is we have to do it manually, and we are not sure how many of this cases we have in our code.

Is there a better way to solve this issue?

Regards. 

• Mobilize.Net Staff

Hi Charlie,

You can solve this situation by re-migrating the code by modifying the Migration Options to use Mobilize helper classes to deal with Default Properties and Late Binding Objects, as shown in the image below.

image.png

C# does not support Default Properties, so statements like  cvctlAuditControl = "" in .NET will need to specify the property for the object in cvctlAuditControl to set with an empty string. The VBUC provides a mechanism to help on this: The Reflection Helper. This helper class contains a collection of .NET classes and their respective Default Property. 

The following sample shows how it works:

VB6:

Private Sub Form_Load()

foo Me.Text1
foo Me.Label1

End Sub

Sub foo(ctl As Control)
    If Not ctl Is Nothing Then
        ctl = "my text"
    End If
End Sub

C#

public void foo(ref Control ctl)
        {
            if (ctl != null)
            {
                //UPGRADE_WARNING: (1068) ctl of type VB.Control is being forced to Scalar. More Information: https://www.mobilize.net/vbtonet/ewis/ewi1068
                ReflectionHelper.SetPrimitiveValue(ctl, "my text");
            }
        }

The Upgrade Warning 1068 indicates there's a situation, in this case caused due to a Default property in VB6. The ReflectionHelper.SetPrimitiveValue extract the datatype of the ctl object and then look for the associated Default Property (if any) to assign the "my text" value to that property.