dataform.ocx will not register

squidmb

I am using a Windows 10 system for the conversion to VB.net. 
Most has gone swimmingly, but I get "Did not find a registered ActiveX control
in ....\dataform.ocx" error in the new build. 

dataform.ocx was missing from the project, so I downloaded version 6.0.0.8169
(file size 529 kB, date modified 06/24/1998 1:00 AM) from Microsoft and
placed it in C:\Windows\SysWow64. 

Then I attempted to register it using Regsvr32.exe.  I get the error "Module
dataform.ocx was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code
0x80004005".  The 0x80004005 error code means there is a permissions problem. 
However, I am logged in as an administrator AND ran the program as Administrator. 

I have tried un-registering it (same error).  Any suggestions?  Getting rid of
dataform.ocx altogether is an option, but I'm not sure what that involves (what
VB.net substitutions are needed for the wrapped-up VB6 ActiveX needs).

Thanks,
Dave

• 1 year later...
  • Mobilize.Net Staff

Hi Dave,

This seems to be a problem with the dataform.ocx ActiveX. 

It might be that you're missing one of the dependencies from this OCX, you can use a tool like Dependency Walker to find what's missing.

The best approach is to use the original installer for the particular component, it will end up registering all the dependencies correctly. This is one of the reasons why we suggest to execute the migration in the same development environment where you can compile your VB6 code.

Now, if it's possible to replace this component you might end up in a better position, by no longer relying on an OCX. The strategy for this will depend on the controls you're using and how you're using them. We can also help with this strategy by creating tool customizations that will add rules to the tool so the migration of the component is automated.

Let us know if you want to learn more about this option or if you need our team to help with part (or all) of your project.