Unable to install

henryed07

I have updated Visual Studio 2015 with all the updates. I tried to install the update but I get an error:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the steup did not finish as expected. Contact your Support personnel or package vendor.

Running Windows 10, Insider Preview - latest build.

Visual Studio 2015

silverlight.PNG

• Administrators

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for making the report.  We have found an inconsistency with the version of Visual Studio that we were supporting.  We have fixed the issue and published new bits.

Can you please re-download the product and let us know if the problem was solved?  We highly appreciate your help.

What do you say, folks, any movement on solving this? I have to wonder how Microsoft can publish some quotes from developers that have used this when there's at three of us (more?) that can't even get it installed.!

Should we be waiting for a solution or should we just move on?

Thanks for any response,

- Charlie

• Administrators

We have not been able to reproduce this problem on our side.  Can you please let us know the SDK and VS studio versions that are actually installed on your machine?

Also, can you verify you have the latest download of the Silverlight Bridge tool?

Thank you, Federico.

Visual Studio Community 2015 V 14.0.24720.00 Update 1

SDK Windows 10.0.10586.15

By "Silverlight Bridge tool" I assume you mean the Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge? I downloaded it 12/9/2015 8:00 AM EST. I have no idea what version it is since I can't install it. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks for your response,

- Charlie

• Mobilize.Net Staff

We were able to reproduce a similar problem for Community Edition only.  It seems that standard installer is not able to remove previously installed Visual Studio Extension, can you open in Visual Studio  the |Tools|Extensions and Updates menu options and verify if Mobilize.NET's Windows Bridge for WP Silverlight is installed? if so please remove it and try setup again.  I attached a sample image.

Please let me know your results.

Regards,

Olman

Extensions.PNG

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

If the problem persist please execute the following command from the command prompt:

msiexec /i MobilizeNetSilverlightBridge.msi /l*v BridgeLogFile.txt

And send us the ‘BridgeLogFile.txt’ file so we can  diagnose the problem.

• 1 year later...
  • Mobilize.Net Staff

Hi Zimo85,

Can you provide a little more information? Did you have the Silverlight Bridge previously installed? If so, did you uninstall it before running this setup using the Control Panel or did you uninstall it from inside Visual Studio? 

On 12/6/2017 at 6:38 PM, John Browne said:

Hi Zimo85,

Can you provide a little more information? Did you have the Silverlight Bridge previously installed? If so, did you uninstall it before running this setup using the Control Panel or did you uninstall it from inside Visual Studio? 

Hi John,

no, never installed before.

• Mobilize.Net Staff

Sorry for the delay, this is a bit puzzling. We think it might be related to the version(s) of Visual Studio installed on the dev machine. Can you check and tell us please which versions of Visual Studio are installed?

1 minute ago, John Browne said:

Sorry for the delay, this is a bit puzzling. We think it might be related to the version(s) of Visual Studio installed on the dev machine. Can you check and tell us please which versions of Visual Studio are installed?

Visual Studio 2008 9.0.30729.1 SP

Visual Studio 2010 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel

Visual Studio Community 2017 15.2 (26430.14)

Other versions were previously installed (2012, 2013 and 2105), but not now.

• Mobilize.Net Staff

It looks like the problem might be related to the existing installation of VS2010. The installer looks for a file called VSIXInstaller.exe which is also on your VS2010 instance; but the SL Bridge doesn't support 2010 so there's a built in conflict.

Suggestion is to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe to vsixinstaller.bak, then re-run the SL Bridge setup program. After it's completed, you can rename the VS2010 file back to .exe. 

Note: we're not sure this will work, but it's easier than uninstalling VS2010.

On 23/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, John Browne said:

It looks like the problem might be related to the existing installation of VS2010. The installer looks for a file called VSIXInstaller.exe which is also on your VS2010 instance; but the SL Bridge doesn't support 2010 so there's a built in conflict.

Suggestion is to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe to vsixinstaller.bak, then re-run the SL Bridge setup program. After it's completed, you can rename the VS2010 file back to .exe. 

Note: we're not sure this will work, but it's easier than uninstalling VS2010.

No, it does not work.

I have attached the log file of the installation with the VS2010 VSIX Installer renamed.

Thank you for your time

BridgeLogFile.txt

• Mobilize.Net Staff

Hi Zimo85,

We need some time to reproduce your configuration on our side  so we can offer you a solution. Maybe we will need to generate an alternative installer or determine an alternative installation strategy.

We will get back to you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your patience

• Mobilize.Net Staff

Hello again Zimo85,

We were able to reproduce a similar installation problem in our side.  However it'll be useful to know which Visual Studio version you use for  working with your Windows Phone 8 or Windows Phone 8.1 SL application? . You said you have VS2008, VS2010 and VS2017Community.

The conversion tool needs to have the Windows Phone 8/8.1SL project opened in Visual Studio to start the conversion and to ensure all the required dependencies are present .

Thanks again,

Luis